SOAR – IF: Outdoors
Leveraging Appalachian KY’s Great Outdoors
for Greater Entrepreneurial Opportunities
Saturday, February 25, 2017 * Cliffview Resort in the Red River Gorge
900 Cliffview Road, Campton, KY 41301
Kentucky. The name is derived from the Iroquois word, "ken-tah-ten” – the land of tomorrow!
Did you know Kentucky’s outdoors, especially Appalachian Kentucky, are not only a tourism mecca; they have the potential to be an entrepreneurial mecca?! From hunting products, to camping gear; from rustic cabins to spacious homes with indoor theatre systems; from half marathons to swimming competitions across muddy lakes; from craft beer to corn whiskey, Kentucky already has hundreds of entrepreneurs that are leveraging the regions scenic beauty and potential for adventure to the state’s economic benefit. Consider:
- Kentucky is home to hundreds of hiking trails and campsites
- Kentucky has more miles of running water than any state save Alaska
- There are 1,100 commercially navigable miles of Kentucky waterways
- Kentucky has 12.7 million acres of commercial forest land - 50% of the state's land area.
- Kentucky has close to 1 million acres of nationally owned forest land
- Kentucky is the sole home of the Daniel Boone National Forest, which covers 21 countiesin east and S.E. KY and a 2.1 million-acre area of public & private lands
- The Red River Gorge is one of the most iconic climbing destinations in the world, covers 29,000 acres, and is home to more than 2,500 climbing routes
- The SOAR initiative and PRIDE have championed Eastern KY’s outdoors
- KY’s borders are within a day’s drive of 65% of the US population!!
It’s time we come together to better understand the entrepreneurial opportunities that exist thanks to Kentucky’s great outdoors- with a special emphasis on the Red River Gorge region.
Join local entrepreneurs, business owners, community leaders, state tourism and economic development officials, higher education students and staff, and others as we come together to discuss how we can better leverage KY’s great outdoors to create an even greater entrepreneurial ecosystem! From 8:30 am to 1:30 pm.